Saturday, March 15, 2014

Two Curious Packages in One Glorious Day

I curiously received two packages at work one day last week.

I opened the sturdy padded envelope first, and inside was just one thing. MY CHECKBOOK! No note. No explanation. I had just been at my company's headquarters, and figured I must have accidentally left it there. I didn't even know I had lost it, but was very thankful it was returned!

On to the box. Here's the first thing I pulled out!
A Magnificent Chocolate Award!
Weird, but awesome! Without a doubt, I deserved this award. Either that or maybe someone was pranking me. I dug through the box and found a heavily taped and bubble wrapped framed certificate. I couldn't wait to find out who finally was recognizing my outstanding achievements!

And then I found this.
A slight misspelling of my name, perhaps?

My first thought was that this is a very weird prank! There was also an envelope, which I was sure would explain the joke.
The anticipation is killing me!
I'm beginning to think this award is not meant for me.
If this is a prank, it's an odd one!

My company does a lot of business with Sears, but no one in my office knows Walter Chamberlain. One co-worker thought she knew him, but I suspect she was thinking of Wilt Chamberlain, who I really hope is a totally different guy. Unless Wilt Chamberlain finally had enough of fame and fortune and turned into a programmer at Sears. Remember that show Alice and how they always talked about Wilt Chamberlain? I sure hope you're old enough to remember that show!

ANYway. I weighed my options.
   1. Eat the chocolate award.
   2. Display the award.
   3. Find the rightful owner.

I chose Option 3. A little because it felt like the right thing to do, but mostly because I found it entertaining. I googled Walter and found out he's a programmer at Sears. Then I asked my co-worker to do the dirty work and call the Sears Mail Room. Guess what! They were happy to hear from us because they had mixed up two packages. I got Walt's award, and he had something for me! I took advantage of the spacious box and included a deck of promotional playing cards, a box of Thanks-A-Lot Girl Scout Cookies, and this letter.

At the last minute, I threw in this framed 8 x 10 photo.

I don't know if this will amuse Walt, but it certainly amused me! And that's worth something.

I haven't heard back from Walt, but I received this email yesterday.


So it turns out that I didn't leave my checkbook at my company headquarters; I left it at a tradeshow I recently worked for Sears. Apparently I'm TERRIBLE at reading return addresses and equally inept at keeping track of my belongings! My checkbook somehow survived being shredded and falling into water, and made it's way back to me. It's a checkbook miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment